Rail Travelogues & Photos,
Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada.
Below you will find all of the railroad related stories, rail photos, rail trave
rail events that have been featured with a photo link on the main page of TrainWeb.com this year.
Click on each of the below photo links to review the full reports. You will find there are a
tremendous number of travelogues of Amtrak travel, rail travel on VIA Rail Canada, as well as
rail travel on many other rail systems and tourist railways throughout the world. Check back often
as new stories are continually being added.
is a registered trademark of the
National Railroad Passenger Corporation.
This is an Amtrak® fan site. Use of any trademarks™ or registered® trademarks on this web site
does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by the National Railroad Passenger Corporation.
The staff of
TrainWeb and volunteers to the
American Passenger Rail Heritage Foundation
have been posting rail travelogues, photos and other information related to Amtrak
to these APRHF Train Web Sites since 1996. You should always check with
Amtrak for the latest schedules,
services, equipment, etc. Information posted on the APRHF Train Web sites might not always be
up to date, especially from postings that may be from several years ago.
Reports Posted in Prior Years
Click each link for reports posted in that year:
Reports Posted This Year:
July 17-18, 2016 - America by Amtrak, Coast-to-Coast and Border-to-Border, Crescent Charlotte, North Carolina to New Orleans, Louisiana 17 hrs Viewliner Roomette 776 miles: Report & Photos by Carl Morrison.
5th segment [of my trip] which left Charlotte, NC at 2:45 a.m. on CRESCENT No. 19 Roomette 5 Car 1910, would take me through NC, GA, AL, MS, and the SE corner of Louisiana. This would be my first roomette in a Viewliner Amtrak car...
Jan 4-5, 2017 - Amtrak Coast Starglight Los Angeles, California, to Portland, Oregon: Report & Photos by Chris Guenzler
This Coast Starlight had a consist of engines 13 and 510, baggage 61066, Transition 39021, Sleepers 32091 Minnesota, 32091 New Hampshire, 32097, Parlor Car 39975 Willamette Valley...
Oct 31, 2016 - APRHF Rail Rangers: Riding the Hoosier Rails.
Interpretive Programs Begin November 27, 2016 by Robert & Kandace Tabern. Join us for onboard interpretive programs: Lafayette, IN - Rensselaer, IN - Dyer, IN - Chicago, IL. APRHF President Bob Cox and Rail Rangers Executive Director Robert Tabern are pleased to announce an expansion of the...
July 14, 2016 - Amtrak Carolinian Washington, DC to Charlotte, North Carolina 780 miles: Report & Photos by Carl Morrison
This is the 4th leg of my son, Matthew Morrison, and my "America By Amtrak" Tour. This Carolinian segment, which left Washington, DC at 10:53 am, includes photos from the train of Alexandria, VA; Quantico, VA; Fredericksburg, VA; Richmond, VA; Petersburg, VA; Rocky Mount, NC; Wilson, NC; Selma, NC; Raleigh, NC; Cary, NC; Durham, NC; Burlington, NC; Greensboro, NC; High Point, NC; Salisbury, NC; Kannapolis, NC; Charlotte, NC...
Jul 2, 2016 - Chicago Union Station's New Metropolitan Lounge: Report & Photos Jack M. Turner
Our arrival at Chicago Union Station on Saturday, July 2, 2016 aboard the California Zephyr was filled with anticipation as we prepared to experience the new first class Metropolitan Lounge for the first time. On the outbound trip in mid-June we spent much of our layover between the City of New Orleans and the Empire Builder in the old Metropolitan Lounge located close to the south concourse gates. Now the journey from trackside to the lounge would be longer as it has been relocated close to the station's Great Hall which is about as far from the boarding gates...
Jul 11-12, 2016 - Amtrak Capitol Limited Chicago to Washington,DC: Report & Photos by Carl Morrison
This is the third leg of my son, Matthew Morrison, and my America By Amtrak Tour. The daylight portion of this Capitol Limited segment, which left Chicago at 6:40 pm, includes photos from the train of Cumberland, Maryland; Martinsburg, West Virginia; Harpers Ferry, West Virginia; Rockville, Maryland; and Washington, DC; and forest, farms, and rivers in between...
July 9-11, 2016 - Chicago: Report & Photos by Carl Morrison
America by Amtrak, Coast-to-Coast and Border-to-Border, Chicago (CHI), an Amtrak Destination City. The second Destination City on a dream Amtrak train trip covering 25 states on 6 Amtrak Long Distance Trains on 7,638 rail miles by a 74 year old dad, Carl Morrison, and 42 year old son, Matthew Morrison...
July 6, 2016 - Amtrak Destination City, Seattle, Washington: Report & Photos by Carl Morrison
America by Amtrak, Coast-to-Coast and Border-to-Border, Seattle (SEA), Served by these Amtrak Trains: Amtrak Coast Starlight (Trains #11 & #14) and Amtrak Empire Builder (Trains #7 & #8). Arrival in Seattle on the COAST STARLIGHT from Los Angeles, California about 8:12 pm. We made our first Uber call and were picked up quickly. The Uber app even showed where the driver was located on a real time map. Our destination was Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square...
July 2, 2016 - Topic: Report & Photos by Chris Guenzler
We awoke to rainshowers so I checked on Amtrak and it was running over 2.5 hours late. I got Robin up at 6:15 AM and after we loaded the car in the rain, we left Flagstaff and headed east. Trying to escape the thunderstorms we went to Darling but it was still raining so we...
Photographing TRAINS Vol. 1 Amtrak's Southwest Chief by Carl Morrison (Kindle Edition)
First in a Series of Long Distance Amtrak Train Photography Guides. This book tells you where and how to make great exterior and interior train photos along the route of the Amtrak Southwest Chief Los Angeles - Chicago. . This eBook includes tips for taking photos, not only of the Southwest Chief, but of tourist trains, rail museums, and private rail cars close to the Southwest Chief route. Carl gives many suggestions as to where to eat, and where to stay along the way. Includes over 350 photos by the author from over 20 trips on the Southwest Chief to illustrate proven photo concepts. All Photographs and Text, except where noted, By Carl Morrison...
Jan 29, 2016- An Inside Look Into Outside The Rails
(Part 1 of 2). The Story Behind our Railroad Route Guides by Robert & Kandace Tabern. Several readers of our posts here on TrainWeb have contacted us and requested we write about our experiences researching, writing, and publishing these books...
Highlighted Stories From TrainWeb's Past:
Click each link below for hundreds of rail stories
featured in previous years on the main page of TrainWeb:
Rail Travelogues & Photos:
Specific Amtrak Routes
Click on links below for information on each specific route including travelogues and photos:
Unofficial Rail Travel Fan Pages For Each Amtrak Route
Featuring Rail Travelogues, Photos and Other Information:
- Acela Express - Trains #2100s: Washington,DC-Boston,MA
- Acela Regional - Service on the Northeast Corridor (renamed to Regional)
- Adirondack - Train #68 & #69: Montreal,PQ,Canada to New York,NY
- Ann Rutledge - Train #303-304: Chicago,IL to Kansas City,MO
- California Zephyr - Train #5 & #6: Chicago,IL-Emeryville,CA
- Capitol Limited - Train #29 & #30: Washington,DC to Chicago,IL
- Capitols - Trains #700s: San Jose,CA-Colfax,CA
- Cardinal - Train #50 & #51: Chicago,IL to Washington,DC
- Cascades - Trains #700s: Eugene,OR to Vancouver,BC,Canada
- City Of New Orleans - Train #58 & #59: New Orleans,LA to Chicago,IL
- Coast Starlight - Train #11 & #14: Seattle,WA-Los Angeles,CA
- Crescent - Train #19 & #20: New York,NY to New Orleans,LA
- Desert Wind - Train #35 & #36: Chicago,IL to Los Angeles,CA (discontinued 1997)
- Downeaster - Train #680-689: Boston,MA to Portland,ME
- Ethan Allen Express - Trains #200s: Rutland,VT to Washington,DC
- Empire Builder - Train #7 & #8: Chicago,IL-Seattle,WA
- Empire Builder - Train #27 & #28: Chicago,IL-Portland,OR
- International - Train #364-367: Chicago,IL to Toronto,ON,Canada (discontinued 2004)
- Illinois Zephyr - Train #346-348: Quincy,IL to Chicago,IL
- Kentucky Cardinal - Train #850-851: Chicago,IL to Louisville,KY (discontinued 2003)
- Lake Cities - Train #352-353: Chicago,IL to Pontiac,MI (renamed to Wolverine)
- Lake Shore Limited - Train #48 & #49: Chicago,IL-New York,NY
- Lake Shore Limited - Train #448 & #449: Chicago,IL-Boston,MA
- Maple Leaf - Train #63 & #64: New York,NY to Toronto,ON,Canada
- Metroliner - Train #100-201: Washington,DC to New York,NY
- Mt Adams Talgo - Train #752 & #753: Seattle,WA toPortland,OR (renamed to Cascades)
- Mt Baker Intl - Train #760 & #761: Seattle,WA to Vancouver,BC,Canada (renamed to Cascades)
- National Chief - Train #15 & #16: Washington,DC to Los Angeles,CA (never implemented)
- NortheastDirect - Service On The Northeast Corridor (renamed to Acela Regional)
- Pacific Surfliner - Trains #500s & #700s: San Diego,CA-San Luis Obispo,CA
- Pere Marquette - Train #370 & #371: Chicago,IL to Grand Rapids,MI
- Pioneer - Train #25 & #26: Chicago,IL to Seattle,WA (discontinued 1997)
- San Diegans - Trains #500s & #700s: San Diego,CA-San Luis Obispo,CA (Now Pacific Surfliner)
- San Joaquins - Trains #700s: Bakersfield,CA-Oakland,CA; Bakersfield,CA-Sacramento,CA
- Silver Meteor - Train #97 & #98: New York,NY to Miami,FL
- Silver Palm - Train #89 & #90: New York,NY to Miami,FL (replaced by Palmetto)
- Silver Star - Train #91 & #92: New York,NY to Miami,FL
- Southwest Chief - Train #3 & #4: Chicago,IL-Los Angeles,CA
- Sunset Limited - Train #1 & #2: Miami,FL-Los Angeles,CA
- Texas Eagle - Train #421 & #422: Chicago,IL to Los Angeles,CA
- Three Rivers - Train #40 & #41: Chicago,IL to New York,NY
- Twilight Shoreliner - Trains #66, 67, 76: Boston,MA to Newport News,VA (replaced by Federal)
- Vermonter - Train #55 & #56: Washington,DC to St.Albans,VT/Montreal,PQ,Canada
- Wolverine - Train #350-351: Chicago,IL to Pontiac,MI
- Travelogues for Multiple Routes
Travelogues of Other Rail Journeys
Travelogues of commuter rail routes:
- Caltrain: Gilroy,CA-San Francisco,CA
- Champlain Flyer: Charlotte,VT-Burlington,VT
- Coaster: Oceanside,CA-San Diego,CA
- Metra: Greater Chicago Area,IL
- Metrolink: Greater Los Angeles Area,CA
Are you interested in rail travel along some or all of these journies yourself?
There are very few travel agents that have the necessary knowledge and experience of rail travel to answer your questions
and to book a journey that you will remember for a lifetime. TrainWeb has sought out those travel agencies and rail
tourism companies that not only have the knowledge to book your travel, but have gained the required experience through
extensive rail travel themselves!
Click here or visit for a list of these rail travel providers!
Click on the below images to visit our rail magazine promotion trading partners:
(Click here to add your print rail magazine.)
Visit related pages from this and other web sites:
|Click below for pages in the directory of TrainWeb sites:|