Amtrak Coast Starlight Photographs
The Journey North - Film Roll #1
Photographs of my train travel on the Amtrak Coast Starlight between
Los Angeles, California and Seattle, Washington including photos of the
scenery, the accommodations, and the train itself.
Click on a thumbnail image below to display the full size photograph.
- 01-01: Stephanie, a friend of my children.
- 02-02: Jodina, my older daughter, playing Monopoly in the "extra" Dining Car.
The usual Pacific Parlor Car was replaced on this train by an "extra" Dining
Car temporarily. I'm really divided about whether I like the Parlor Car
better or an extra Dining Car better. The Dining Car can accommodate a lot
more people than the Pacific Parlor Car and I saw a lot more people using it
than I've ever seen in the Pacific Parlor Car. I think it would be a great
move on Amtrak's part to add an "extra" Dining Car to every train, but not
for dining. This car would just be an alternate lounge car with drinks and
snacks, like the Pacific Parlor Car.
- 03-03: Sherica, my younger daughter.
- 04-04: The causeway that leads to a rocky island near Mussel Shoals just
south of Santa Barbara. Oil production began here in 1964.
- 05-05: Off shore oil drilling platforms just south of Santa Barbara.
- 06-07: We got a chance to stretch our legs in Santa Barbara.
- 08-13: The largest Moreton Bay Fig tree in America, native to Australia,
was planted here in 1877 and today its branches spread 160 feet! The Coast
Starlight usually stops in Santa Barbara long enough for you to walk over
to this tree for a closer look and some photos.
- 14-14: Back to the "extra" Dining Car and time for a game of Trivial Pursuit!
- 15-17: Vandenburg Air Force Base Strategic Air Command's Western Missile Test Range
north of Santa Barbara
- 18-18: Horseshoe Curve with another Coast Starlight going the other way
and the California Men's Colony, a state penitentiary, in the background.
- 19-21: Salinas, California, the closest Amtrak stop to Monterey.
- 22-22: Hills outside of Salinas, California.
Please select one of the following:
- 23-24: Amtrak Station in San Jose, California with Amtrak Capitol train on the right.
The Amtrak Capitol trains consist of the new bi-level Amtrak California Cars.
- 25-25: Amtrak Coast Starlight in the night.
- 26-26: Amtrak California Cars on the Capitol route in the dusk.
Coast Starlight Photo Page
Amtrak Route Index
Passenger Rail Travel Page
Click here to tell a friend about this page!