Amtrak Desert Wind
Trip Highlights - Train #35 & #36
From Amtrak's 1997 Travel Planner
Photographs, travelogues, accommodations, and other information about train
travel on the Amtrak Desert Wind route.
- Great Salt Lake
- Great Salt Desert
- Nevada's Spectacular Rainbow Canyon,
a winding 26 mile gorge of singular beauty
- The shockingly brilliant lights of Las Vegas
- National Rodeo Finals in early December
- Huge, shifting dunes of California's desolate Devils Playground
- The dramatic beauty of Afton Canyon
- The extraordinary rock formations of the Mojave Desert
- Cajon Pass through the San Bernardino Mountains
- Also: All the same scenic highlights as on the California Zephyr
between Chicago and Salt Lake City.
Click here to see those now.
WHETHER YOU PREFER THE dazzling mountain beauty and winter excitement of ski
resorts in Utah and Colorado or the dazzling manmade beauty and year-round
entertainment of Las Vegas and Los Angeles, the Desert Wind is the train to
take you there.
From Chicago to Salt Lake City, the Desert Wind travels the same route as
the California Zephyr -- through the
same magnificent scenery. But between the starry nights of the Great Salt
Desert and the bright lights of Los Angeles, the Desert Wind carves a path
all its own -- through a vividly beautiful landscape of dry rivers,
wind-blown sand, craggy rocks, and remarkable desert colors.
Please select one of the following:
Desert Wind Page /
Amtrak Route Index /
Passenger Rail Travel Page
- copyright © 1997
Liberty Information Network
Last Updated: 01/27/97
- WebMaster: Steve Grande