Amtrak California Zephyr
Trip Highlights - Train #5 & Train #6
From Amtrak's 1996 Travel Planner
Natural beauty so spectacular it takes your breath away --
on a dazzling ride that touches the sky!
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Spectacular mountain heights of the Sierra Nevada's Donner Pass
- An on-board guide from the California State Railroad Museum
pointing out sites between Sacramento and Sparks
- Climbing into the Wasatch Range east of Salt Lake City
- Entering the Colorado River Valley at Ruby Canyon
- Colorado's Grand Mesa, the world's largest flat-top mountain
- Glenwood Springs, how to world famous hot springs
- The Spectacular Glenwood Canyon
- Gore Canyon, with sheer rock walls climbing 1,500 feet from the river
- The ski slopes of Winter Park
- Moffat Tunnel, over 6 miles long where you cross the Continental Divide
- Drifting down through the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains to Denver
Experienced Travelers say it's the most beautiful train trip in all of
North America ... and as you climb to the sky through the heart of the
Rocky Mountains --- and further west, the high Sierra --- you'll find
it hard to disagree.
Certainly, it's the most comfortable way to travel between Chicago and the
great cities of the West: Denver, Salt Lake City and Sacramento.
Skiing in winter, hiking and sightseeing in summer, the Zephyr is the train
for all this and more, including great destinations like Reno, Nevada,
where you can try your luck in the city casinos, or continue on to Lake
Tahoe and Squaw Valley.
But as you twist past the narrow canyons and towering peaks of the Rockies,
following the Colorado River through a breathtakingly beautiful mountain
wilderness --- and climb through the famous mile-high Donner Pass in the
heart of Sierra Nevada, you won't be thinking about where you're going.
You'll be thinking of how glad you are you took the California Zephyr to
Visit related pages from this and other web sites:
|Click below for pages in the directory of TrainWeb sites:|