Amtrak Coast Starlight
Photographs, travelogues, accommodations, and other information about train
travel on the Amtrak Coast Starlight route.
Trip Highlights - Train #11 & Train #14
From Amtrak's 1996 Travel Planner
- The shores of the Puget Sound
- The Seattle Skyline
- The Cascade Mountains, including Mt. Rainier on clear days
- The shimmering waterfalls of Oregon City
- Willamette Pass through the Cascades,
with 22 tunnels and innumerable hairpin turns
- Upper Klamath Lake, and Mt. Shasta
- California's lush Central Valley
- The San Francisco skyline across the bay
- Cuesta Pass through the Santa Lucia Mountains
- Marvelous views as you run along the shoreline of the Pacific
- View of the Channel Islands near Santa Barbara
- The Santa Susana Mountains before you arrive in Los Angeles
It's Amtrak's most popular train -- and a three-way winner for your
First, the Coast Starlight connects the most popular destinations on the
West Coast: the great cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland
and Seattle; the sparkling beaches of Santa Barbara; the beautiful
mountain country around Mt. Shasta and Klamath Falls; the magnificent
natural beauty of Washington state.
Second, the Coast Starlight shows you stunningly beautiful vistas, from
cool northern forests and the breath-taking heights of the Cascades to
the verdant green of California's fertile valleys and the shoreline of
the Pacific -- spectacular scenery you can't see any other way.
Third, the Coast Starlight does it all with a new standard of comfort
and service -- exciting menus featuring the best of the flavorful West,
wine tastings and specialty beers and ales, and enhanced services for
sleeping car passengers.
All of which adds up to one easy choice: the Coast Starlight.