Derailments And Other Train Related Mishaps
Information and photos related to train derailments and other train related mishaps.
This page is a good source to turn to when you want to find out more information on a recent
passenger train derailment or other railroad mishap. Please feel free to post your own links
related to railroad incidents by
clicking here to go to the
Derailments.com Facebook Fan Page.
TrainWeb.com generally does not post collisions between trains and vehicles or pedestrians on
its main page as it would provide a misrepresentation of the safety of rail travel. For comments
on the safety of rail travel, please
CLICK HERE. Instead,
this website is where we post all news related to railroad derailments and other mishaps. You
are welcome to post your own links, comments and photos related to train mishaps here also.
/ Metrolink Apr-23-2002
- 12/08/08 Mon: Amtrak derails after collision with truck
- 11/20/08 Thu: Metrolink Commuter Train, Freight Train Collide
- 11/20/08 Thu: San Bernardino Line Service Disruption 11/20/2008 2:00 pm
- 11/30/07 Fri: Metrolink / UP Head-on Train Collision in Southern California.
- 11/30/07 Fri: Amtrak Train #371 Collides With Freight Train in Illionois.
- 07/17/07 Tue: Minor Amtrak Derailment in Plant City, Florida
- 04/23/07 Mon: Amtrak train involved in accident in Northern Mississippi
- 07/01/06 Sat: Commuter trains collision outside Philadelphia injures 30 people
- 01/28/06 Sat: Minor derailment of Amtrak Empire Builder near Spokane, Washington
- 10/05/05 Wed: Amtrak Texas Eagle Derails in Missouri
- 08/02/05 Tue: Amtrak Carolinian Strikes Dump Truck and Derails
- 04/04/05 Mon: Amtrak Empire Builder Derailment in Southern Washington State
- 01/26/05 Tue: Metrolink Trains Derail In Southern California
- 01/12/05 Wed: Amtrak California Zephyr derails near Grand Junction
- 04/06/04 Tue: Amtrak City of New Orleans Derails
- 02/09/04 Mon: Amtrak Southwest Chief Derails In Kansas City Near Railyard.
- 01/01/04 Thu: Amtrak California Zephyr Temporarily Derails in Blizzard.
- 10/12/03 Sun: Chicago Metra Train Derails On South Side. (Chicago Sun-Times)
- 06/20/03 Fri: Runaway Union Pacific Freight Train Derails in Commerce, CA.
- 05/07/03 Wed: Truck Derails Amtrak Silvers Star in Georgia.
- 01/06/03 Mon: Truck Derails L.A. Metrolink Train.
- 09/12/02 Thu: Collision derails Amtrak Vermonter. (Rutland Herald)
- 09/09/02 Mon: Train Derailment in India Kills 50. (AP)
- 08/21/02 Wed: Amtrak Coast Starlight derails in Hayward, California.
- 07/29/02 Mon: Amtrak Capitol Limited derails in Maryland.
- 07/29/02 Mon: A list of recent passenger train accidents (AP)
- 06/06/02 Thu: Number of U.S. Train Derailments Up.
- 05/14/02 Tue: Log truck derails Amtrak Silver Meteor in South Carolina.
- 04/23/02 Tue: Metrolink / BNSF collision in Placentia, California.
- 04/18/02 Wed: Amtrak AutoTrain derails in Northern Florida.
- 09/13/01 Thu: Amtrak California Zephyr derails in Utah.
- 09/11/01 Tue: Amtrak Texas Eagle derails near Hallsville, Texas.
- 07/29/01 Thu: Amtrak Texas Eagle derails in Sabula, Missouri.
- 04/12/01 Thu: VIA train derails in Nova Scotia. At least 20 injured.
- 03/18/01 Sun: Amtrak California Zephyr derails in Iowa.
- 02/05/01 Mon: Amtrak Hits Freight Train, Hurts 60.
- 12/07/00 Thu: Amtrak Coast Starlight derails in Northern California.
- 11/04/00 Sat: Truck derails Amtrak Pacific Surfliner killing one in truck.
- 08/21/00 Fri: Amtrak Silver Meteor derails in South Carolina.
- 03/15/00 Wed: Amtrak Southwest Chief derails near Topeka, Kansas.
- 11/30/99 Tue: Freight Train derails in Torrance, California.
- 11/18/99 Thu: Metrolink Collision with Freight Train in Fullerton, California.
- 10/16/99 Sat: Earthquake derails Amtrak Southwest Chief near Barstow, California.
- 07/08/99 Thu: Amtrak Sunset Limited derails in Texas.
- 04/23/99 Fri: VIA Rail Train 74 derails.
- 03/15/99 Mon: Amtrak City of New Orleans crash 50 miles south of Chicago.
- 12/20/98 Sun: Amtrak Texas Eagle derails in Arlington, Texas.
- 05/06/98 ---: Amtrak Texas Eagle derails near Austin, Texas.
- 08/09/97 Sat: Amtrak Southwest Chief derails near Kingman, Arizona.
- 01/22/56: ATSF San Diegan RDC train 82 derails at Redondo Junction, 30 killed.
At this time, the main focus of this page is passenger train derailments in the United States and Canada.
As time permits, we will try to expand the information on this page to cover other areas of the world and
information on freight derailments. Some time in the future, we hope to add more data related to the
history of derailments.
George Black, a member of the National Transportation Safety Board, said investigators are impressed with how the
double-deck Superliner cars remained intact even though they were pounded with massive forces.
Unlike airliners, which are built of lightweight aluminum and composite
material, rail passenger cars are built of heavy steel. This factor alone often
prevents deaths or major injuries in even high-speed train wrecks.
"The good story is that the cars stood up like champs," Black said.
-- Washington Post, Sunday, April 21, 2002, Page A10
Click on the below images to visit our rail magazine promotion trading partners:
(Click here to add your print rail magazine.)